When your teeth are crooked, there can be too much or too little space between your teeth, braces may be an option to straighten your teeth and can be used to fix an overbite.
“Orthodontic treatment gives you straighter teeth that are easier to clean, and less likely to be lost. It can improve your ability to eat more comfortably, and lower your risk of having jaw and joint problems caused by an incorrect bite. And, with so many different types of braces available, you can get the right treatment for you.” Dr Steve Preddy, one of Bupa UK’s senior dentists.
What can braces fix?
- Crooked and misaligned teeth
- Gappy smiles
- Other misalignment issues
There are four types of braces; removable braces, fixed braces, aligners and retainers. Check out cosmetic brace systems here.
A Range of Benefits from Braces
- Most people picture metal braces where teeth look wired together which stands out but there is the option of ceramic braces which are close to invisible. More.
- As suggested by the name, removable braces can be removed in order to allow for easy cleaning.
- Fixed braces may be combined with a headgear which can help to fix an overbite. Fixing an overbite has an aesthetic advantage but also has medical advantages. An overbite can damage teeth, gums and the jaw so overbite correction can prevent this.
- Braces are cheaper than other teeth-straightening alternatives such as veneers.
- Braces are free for under-18s on the NHS.
- Retainers can be used to prevent teeth from moving back into their original position so you won’t have to wear braces again to correct them. Read more.
- Sugary food and drink need to be avoided which cuts them out of your diet.
- Can fix crooked teeth at any stage of your life.